Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Semana Santa



I posted a 'borrowed' picture of Semana Santa in Cordoba, Spain. This is very much what the processions in Algeciras look like too. It is like a funeral march. The costumes look very much like the KKK (a little scary to us Americans). But I understand they are worn to hide the faces of the 'sinners'. There are processions daily with floats. Men carry the floats on their shoulders. They have heavy statues that depict different scenes from the last week of Jesus' life. There are also statues of Mary apparently depicting different stages of her grief.

I watched one procession this year. I really don't enjoy them. I really didn't notice any of the Spaniards moved by them. I did notice some Moroccan men standing next to me watching and wondered what they thought as they watched, since they generally think the statues are idols that Christians worship. The next night, we (me, Al and Lynne) went to Plaza Alta (the center of town) hoping we could talk with other Moroccans hanging around. We had some small conversations, some who had received the New Testament before but none really wanting to talk more.

No comments: